My relationship with my skin has been one wrought with problems, loathing and frustration. If we were people I would have filed for divorce years ago.
Skincare never existed in my childhood. Except for the sporadic slathering of sunscreen when I was at the beach then my skin was something to be scraped and dirtied.
Then puberty hit me like a sack of bricks…in the face! Quite literally.
Overnight I went from having flawed but soft, childish skin to having tiny little bumps on my chin. I remember sitting in my Grade 6 class confusedly running my finger across them
“Those are pimples. My brother has them.” My friend said beside me with a pitying look. I was horrified. Pimples! The stigma around pimples were only dirty boys got them and I was NO dirty boy thank you very much.
From that day on my face only got worse, by the time I was 16, I was a pizza face. I had gone to dermatologists, been put on Accutane, had monthly facials but the pimples stayed put. Because everyone, myself included just wanted them gone. We didn’t want to look at the underlying issues or start a good skincare routine.
Moving to Canada greatly improved my acne. Perhaps it was the climate or perhaps it was the lack of teenage angst in my life that improved things. But since then I have become a skincare addict. I am a firm believer that beauty starts from within, I try to drink at minimum 8 glasses of water a day to keep myself and my skin hydrated. I try to get all the vitamins and minerals my body needs.
But mostly I make sure I put the right products on. I now rarely wear makeup boldly loving the skin I have!
My daytime routine is pretty simple.
- Cleanser: It is taken me years to find a cleanser that works. I hate having to ‘wash’ my face. Water gets everywhere, soap in my eyes. Then came Micellar water. I LOVE this product, simply place onto a cotton pad and wipe away the grease and dirt. I use Garnier Skin Active Micellar Cleasning Water.
- Toner: Gotta prep the skin for the day. I generally try to match the toner to the needs of the season. For instance my skin is oily in the summer so I use toners designed for greasy skin. I use Dr. Belmeur’s Daily Repair Toner.
- Moisturizer: I ALWAYS make sure I buy a hydration day cream that has at least spf 15. The added protection makes me feel a lot better especially if I forget the next step. I use Nivea Daily Essentials 24H Moisture Boost with spf 15.
- Sunscreen: This step was one I only added to the list a few years back. I had no idea how important it was to lather up. I try to go for a higher spf, even if for a little bit I look deathly pale. It is taken me years to find a good products that doesn’t run into my eyes which is why I love Aveeno Sensitive Skin face Spf 50. It is sweat and water resistant! Score.
During the day I also make sure to reapply the sunscreen. I also use Dr. Belmeur’s Rehydrating Mist to give my tired skin a refreshing, moisture boost.
After a long day I know my skin needs a little more TLC than the morning so things get a little more complicated.
- Foaming cleanser: I usually do this part an hour or two before the res to the routine as I prefer to do this in the shower. This helps remove some of the makeup, sunscreen and dirt on my face. I really like Herb Day cleansing foam peach as a small amoount really does foam up nicely.
- Cleanser: Just before bed I start the second step of the routine. Using the same micellar water from before i use it to take off any access dirt and makeup.
- Toner: Again same as the morning.
- Mask: Three times a week I like to do some kind of mask. I prefer sheet masks as I find they are kinder to senstive skin. I love the masks from The Face Shop and they come with quite a bargain.
- Retinol: This wrinkle recducing cream can seem a little daunting at first. I use it on days I don’t mask. Using a small amount I smear it on my face to help reduce the look of fine lines. I use Indeed Labs Retinol Reface.
- Moisturizer: Night creams are generally thicker than day creams because this is the perfect time for your skin to absorb all that goodness. As I am still young I prefer to use a hydrating cream although from next year I will be using an anti-aginf formula to combat fine lines and wrinkles. I use Nivea Essentials 24H Moisture Boost.
Skincare routines are ever changing and expanding like most things in life. So if you have any questions or advise feel free to get in touch with us.
‘Til next time, stay classy….